From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: More Info: Card Printing and Mag Stripe Encoding
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:50:02 GMT
Hi Ted,

"Ted Young" <tyoung@ncoastsoft.com> wrote on 06/14/2006 04:35:04 PM:

> Well, through some more investigation and trial-and-error, I have found
that
> by using gradients anywhere on my document, all text in my document IS
being
> rasterized before going to the printer.  By taking the gradients out,
once can
> notice substantially clearer text.  Text that overlaps images is also
rasterized.

> I am assuming, at this point, that this rasterization is occurring at
the whim
> of the Graphics object.  I will pursue that possibility next.

   Yes, the print method is actually called multiple times, the first
time it 'scopes things out' and tries to identify regions where it will
have to rasterize content (opacity and bitmaps, etc).  Then it actually
calls your print method to generate output (usually in stripes so this
may involve a great many calls).  I should note that this is the JVM's
Graphics object, not ours...

   If your drawing has an empty border around it (common for cards) I
would try drawing the text there as long as any part of the text is
'on the page' it should be included, hopefully.

   Anyway, good luck!

And,
> it appears that this is working just fine.
>
> My suspicion is that the text string ~1%123? Which I embed in a <text
> …></text> tag is being broken up with formatting/layout information, but
this
> is just a guess.
>
> First, here is how I am printing the SVG documents:
>
> PrintTranscoder transcoder = new PrintTranscoder();
> transcoder.transcode(new TranscoderInput(svg.front), null);
> transcoder.transcode(new TranscoderInput(svg.back), null);
>
> String title = ((SVGOMDocument)svg.front).getTitle();
>
> HashPrintRequestAttributeSet settings = new
HashPrintRequestAttributeSet();
> settings.add(OrientationRequested.PORTRAIT);
> settings.add(new JobName(title, null));
> settings.add(new MediaPrintableArea(0f, 0f, 2.125f, 3.375f,
MediaSize.INCH));

> DocPrintJob printJob = Configuration.printer.createPrintJob();
> SimpleDoc doc = new SimpleDoc(transcoder,
DocFlavor.SERVICE_FORMATTED.PRINTABLE, null);