From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: suspendRedraw(), unsuspendRedraw()
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:22:46 GMT
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Neumann <neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote on 06/12/2006 08:12:20
AM:

> >>Sometimes I have a longer script execution and want to show the user
> >>progress (like e.g. calculating a surface profile from a digital
> >>elevation model).
> >
> >   I know it's a pain but it really would be better to break the loop
> >and return.  Anyway you can now use forceRedraw if you want.
> >
> What is the drawback if I use forceRedraw, besides the fact that I can't

> use it in some SVG viewers or older Batik versions?

  All event processing backs up and they will all happen after
the processing completes.  So for example it would be impossible to
have a 'cancel' button.   Also any key/button presses will suddenly play
back after the script completes - seconds or more after the actual
key press/button press.  We really can't dispatch multiple events
at the same time as I doubt most script is really designed to be
re-entrant/multi-threaded.