From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: starting batik commands
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:46:50 GMT
Hi Tom,

Tom Poe <tompoe@fngi.net> wrote on 06/09/2006 03:52:52 AM:

> I have downloaded a binary for batik.  I had success with the following
> command:
> java -Djava.awt.headless=true  -jar
> ~/batik/batik-1.6/batik-rasterizer.jar
~/batik/batik-1.6/samples/anne.svg

> Can someone explain what "-Djava.awt.headless=true" does?

   It tells java not to try and contact the 'screen'. Usually this
is needed on UNIX systems that aren't running an XServer (often a
web server or the like).  If you just want to rasterize SVG documents
setting headless true is good.

> I tried to use:
> [tom@localhost batik-1.6]$ java -jar batik-squiggle.jar
> but after several lines of startup, it paused and didn't load.  I don't
> have any idea how java works, so maybe I need help with commands.  Any
> help appreciated.

   Just leave headless set to true.  If you want to interactively
view SVG documents you will need to setup X (set your DISPLAY env
var to point at an X Windows server) - how to set this up is incredibly
off topic for this forum.