From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject RE: Extracting information from a transformation matrix
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 00:38:34 GMT
Hi Michael,

"Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880" <Michael.Bishop@je.jfcom.mil> wrote on
06/06/2006 08:28:55 PM:

> I'm confused...why do you call it "rotX"?
> Isn't there only a single rotation angle?

   Not in the presence of shear.  Take the simple example of shearY:

+------+         +------+
|      |   ->   /       /

   Note that a vector aligned with the x-axis will experience no
rotation.  However a vector aligned with the y-axis will experience
rotation.  This is why I called the above value 'rotX' it is
the rotation of a vector aligned on the x-axis.

   If you don't have shear or non-uniform scaling (which can make
some of a normal rotation "look like" shear), this BTW is your
case, then rotX and the similar 'rotY' calculation will match.

I'd