Thanks Javid and Thomas for the replies,

Have got it working now after reading your suggestions.... just to close the thread in case anyone else is looking for similar in the future, required code looks something like this (of course adding the flushing/closing of streams).....

            TranscoderInput input = new TranscoderInput(doc);

            OutputStream ostream = new ByteArrayOutputStream();

            TranscoderOutput output = new TranscoderOutput(ostream);

            t.transcode(input, output);

            ByteArrayOutputStream result = (ByteArrayOutputStream)output.getOutputStream();

byte[] bytes = result.toByteArray();

Thanks as ever for the help,

Cheers,

Dylan.