From Stephen Drake <st...@drakenz.com>
Subject flowText extension / svg version compatibility
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:32:52 GMT

Hi,

I have noticed that the Batik flowText extension sometimes clashes with svg
1.2.  Before I get too far I should mention that this isn't actually a
problem for me right now.  I am using svg 1.2 for the multiImage feature,
but I prefer flowText over flowRoot for the moment because I want to do
vertical alignment.  When this is organised so that the multiImage elements
occur in separate documents that are referenced with an image element, it
all works nicely.  However, I'm curious as to whether the flowText extension
is meant to work with svg 1.2 and whether it is already deprecated in favour
of flowRoot.

The following svg document causes a ClassCastException at
org.apache.batik.bridge.CSSUtilities.getComputedStyle() when loaded in Batik
1.6 Squiggle-ext:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.2">
  <flowText xmlns="http://xml.apache.org/batik/ext">
    <flowRegion>
      <rect width="80" height="40"/>
    </flowRegion>
    <flowDiv>
      <flowPara>Flowed text - w00t!</flowPara>
    </flowDiv>
  </flowText>
</svg>

The exception is triggered by the svg version attribute - if it is removed
or set to 1.1 the document loads fine.

In the nightly build of 2006-06-14, this is reversed - version 1.2 is OK,
but otherwise a null pointer exception occurs at
org.apache.batik.css.engine.CSSEngine.getCascadedStyleMap().

In the nightly build of 2006-07-31 and later snapshots, it switches back
again, this time if the version is 1.2 a ClassCastException occurs at
org.apache.batik.bridge.AbstractGraphicsNodeBridge.setTransform().

Does anyone know anything about this?

Regards,
Steve Drake