From Roy S <r_somn...@myrealbox.com>
Subject Re: Query on Capability
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:40:42 GMT

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the info, especially the one on zooming.

thomas.deweese wrote:

> but plugging in standard widgets in the 'middle' of an SVG would be
> tricky.  Doing it around an SVG is simple.

I have not quite understood the above: would you want to refer me to any URL
with which I can understand it (the above section from your mail) better.

thomas.deweese wrote:

>    It isn't clear to me exactly what synoptic is

I have compiled some information about "synoptic" (it was a new term for me
too). Please forgive me if the write-up appears a bit longish. However, if I
have missed anything specific that may have wanted, please let me know.

============
Synoptic: An adjective derived from the noun 'synopsis', a brief or
condensed statement presenting a combined or general view of something.

Synoptics are diagrammatic (graphic) representation of the different
entity-objects existing in the system. Synoptics depict the states of the
objects they represent, and offer access to commands that can be run on
those objects.

The graphic representation of an object is usually a double square: the
colour of each layer of the square representing the functional and technical
status of the object. (there is a colour coding that represents various
statuses of the different types of objects)

A (somewhat primitive) depiction of a single object (double square) would be
as follows:
 ___________
|    _______   |
|   |           |   |
|   |           |   |
|   |           |   |
|   |           |   |
|    ------------   |
 ------------------

To get access to the commands available for the selected object, user has to
right click within the double square box to display a contextual menu of
commands. A command may be organized at different levels.

The entity objects may be organized in a hierarchy: double-clicking on one
object would take the user to the display (synoptic) of the next lower level
members (objects) of the hierarchy. Also, some child objects under a parent
object can be combined; combined objects are represented differently: a
dashed line surrounds all the objects that are involve in a combination.

The objects in a particular hierarchy level are represented in various ways:
they can exist side by side, one above the other, or distributed in space,
at an angle to each other.