From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: Query on Capability
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:21:47 GMT
Hi S Roy,

   See comments below.

Roy S <r_somnath@myrealbox.com> wrote on 09/13/2006 12:43:25 AM:

> Please consider this a pre-beginner's query: we plan to build a system
(Java
> based) where we need to deal with custom figures: we are looking for a
> toolkit that would give us the following capabilities:
> · Support for display of synoptic (think of Synoptic as custom widgets).
> · Support for printing
> · Support for zooming of the data (zoom in, zoom out, fit to content).
>
> I have gone through the mailing list: I am reasonably confident that we
can
> implement the first two.

   It isn't clear to me exactly what synoptic is but plugging in standard
widgets in the 'middle' of an SVG would be tricky.  Doing it around an SVG
is simple.

   The tricky bits of plugging in existing widgets into an SVG using
Batik tends to be event handling.  Also potentially differences in
the repaint model.

> However, for zooming, I am not too sure: While I
> have come across queries associated with zooming, the batik site
mentions
> that Batik is "conformant static SVG implementation".

   I am fairly certain that Batik can do anything with zooming that you
are interested in doing.  The primary reason we have only billed ourself
as a static implementation is the lack of SMIL animation.  In fact Batik
has one of the better DOM "dynamic" implementations.

> Also in the status page, there is no mention of zooming (it is
> mentioned as a dynamic test not passed by Batik yet).

We really need to update our 'status' page I believe we do currently
pass the 'interact-zoomPan-BE03.svg'.  In fact we only failed it before
because we didn't fully disable all forms of zoom and pan in squiggle
when a document had zoomPan="disable" on the root SVG element :/

> May I request somebody to clarify my queries about Batik's capabilities:

> a. Validate my understanding about the first two points (synoptics and
> printing)
> b. Clear the doubts about zooming capability:
>
> Note that this could be based on my lack of thorough knowledge about
SVG.