From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: Is this still necessarily true?
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 01:08:10 GMT
Hi Cameron, K.W.,

    I would actually push back on what they say.  What they are asking for
is
a parametric layout system, it is true that SVG does not provide one
natively
(one could potentially be built with script).  While a parametric layout
system
would be way cool and I personally think the only way to make SVG 'truely
scalable' it is total overkill for static output of a graph.

    For what they want all they need to do it make use of a tool like
Batik
to calculate text bounding boxes and to embed SVG font's in the output.

    Embedding fonts has _long_ been the solution to accurate reproduction
of
text across many clients.  What they are asking for may be interesting but
is
way beyond what any other output format I am aware of provides.

    They can use Batik as an engine to calculate the bbox of text rendered
with
the required SVG font.  While there could be some small differences in
rendering
between viewers for a given SVG font the differences should be on the
order of
fractional pixels per char.