From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: DOM node from SVGGraphics2D
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:06:38 GMT
andreruediger@web.de wrote on 11/10/2006 06:54:25 AM:

> Hello List!
>
> I want to export an org.w3c.dom.Node from a SVGGraphics2D object.
>
> What I'm currently trying to do is:

[ code that looks ok deleted ]

>     Element rootNode = doc.getDocumentElement();
>     g.getRoot(rootNode);

>     return rootNode;
>
> The problem with this is that getRoot() seems to overwrite doc's already
set
> namespace and I've to manually do a rootNode.setAttributeNS(null,
"xmlns",
> svgNS) to set the namespace correctly.

    I don't think I follow.  AFAIK 'getRoot(rootNode)' appends the SVG
content as children of the rootNode, it doesn't touch the attributes on
'rootNode'. Also I think it always set's the xmlns attribute on the node
it appends.

> Now my question: Is there a more elegant solution to my problem? Am I
> probably thinking too complicated here?

   This depends a lot on what you are trying to do.  The SVGGraphics2D
is really designed to act as a sort of 'print to SVG' engine, not a
'simple' factory interface for SVG.
   If you are only interested in creating simple 'rect', 'circles' or
'lines', you may be better off just writing the code yourself, but if
you have a big blob of existing Java drawing code and you just want to
spit out a high quality SVG version of that drawing SVGGraphics2D is a
great tool.

> A further question would be if it's possible to generate SAX-events for
> SVGGraphics2D object. I'm currently converting the dom to sax events for
> further transformations.

   No the SVGGraphics2D (for a variety of good reasons) is fairly well
tied to outputing DOM.