From Martin Constantine <mac...@lecture123.com>
Subject Re: Slow svg rendering on MAC (again)
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:11:10 GMT
hi Thomas, all,

I've tracked down the bottleneck in the rendering from our app. From
what I see it is indeed happening in batik somewhere. After some careful
digging, I found that the delay on the mac happens in GVTTreeRenderer (
I timed between gvtRenderingStarted() and gvtRenderingCompleted() ). I
also verified that at the beginning and at the end of rendering, the
image renderer in GVTTreeRenderer is indeed a MacRenderer.

I also ran squiggle on the same code base and found the following:

1) Surprisingly, svg files with large images and svg fonts based on
system-recognized fonts rendered almost instantaniously.

2) Files with svg fonts (created from non-system fonts elsewhere) took
some time to load.

So....

Why does the same svg document load in Squiggle much faster (same as
windows) than in our app? The app uses JSVGComponent's setSVGDocument()
method to initiate the tree building. Does squiggle do something
differently? One thought that came to mind was that perhaps its a memory
issue. The app is currently fed 100M to start and to live with. Does
anyone know if perhaps the JVM is not being allocated this on the mac?
(This has worked well on windows). Any hints would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Martin.