From Thomas Behr <thomas.b...@yworks.com>
Subject Re: org.apache.batik.transcoder.TranscoderException: null and SAXParser not found
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 07:53:13 GMT
Hi Greg,

Greg Rossel wrote:
> Thank you Michael.
>
> Its been about 10 years since Ive used java. I could not read the jar
> file easily as it is in binary format. Will I need to get the source and
> read it from there or is there some other method.

The Sun JDK comes with the jar tool (see the bin directory of your JDK
installation directory), a tool very similar to tar.
You can unpack jar files with
  jar xf example.jar
with similar results as in tar xf example.tar, i.e. the contents of
example.jar will be put in the current directory.
According to specification, every jar contains a human-readable file
called META-INF/MANIFEST.MF. This file may have an entry
  Class-Path: <some value here>
This is what M. Bishop was referring to.

BTW - if you are running KDE, you won't have to actually extract the jar
contents. Just open Konqueror in file browser mode, clicking on the
relevant jar will allow you to view its contents. Clicking on
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF will even open the file in a text editor for your
viewing pleasure. ;-)
Other file browsers may provide similar functionality, though.

Regards, Thomas

Thomas Behr
yWorks GmbH
Vor dem Kreuzberg 28