From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: Chinese characters - what's the smallest recpmmended dpi resolution rendering
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 01:18:13 GMT
Hi Rob.

Rob Davis:
> Obviously it depends on the size of the characters in the document.
>
> But if we consider characters about 3 or 3mm square - i.e. ordinary document
> sized characters, what would be the smallest resolution?
>
> I've experimented and found that 600dpi is safe. However at 300dpi and
> below, strokes go missing when rendered to a monochrome 2 colour bilevel
> bitmap by the batik rasterizer.
>
> However, chinese characters displayed on Firefox have a much smaller dpi.
>
> Are there techniques for optimising the rendering at smaller resolutions?

It might be that the fonts Firefox is using have bitmap versions of the
glyphs to use at certain small sizes.  I don’t know if the Java2D text
drawing methods (which are used by Batik) are able to use those if
present.

Won’t Firefox paint glyphs with anti-aliasing, though?  So it won’t be
the same as when you rasterise to a 1bpp bitmap?

The most dense Chinese character I have seen is 龘 (U+9F98), though I
imagine it is quite uncommon (except when talking about characters with
a large number of strokes!).  You could use that as an upper bound when
searching for an appropriate DPI to rasterise at.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/