From Martin Zdila <m.zd...@mwaysolutions.com>
Subject Re: skipping unknown functions
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 09:28:25 GMT
Hello

First, thanks for your reply, Cameron.

> > is it possible to make CSS parser to skip errors? I have CSS file that
> > also contains CSS3 functions. Batik CSS parser stops parsing CSS when it
> > parses it:
> >
> > /* until here CSS is parsed */
> > FOO:nth-child(even) {
> > }
> > /* not parsed here */
>
> I think it would be good for the CSS engine to have a forward-compatible
> parsing mode (i.e., to skip unknown constructs according to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#parsing-errors), but I would
> rather have a more complete solution than just skipping unknown
> pseudo-classes.

Is this feature actually planned? If yes, then when do you expect it?

Just to let you know, I am using CSS parsing library to parse ugly and wild
CSS found in the many WWW pages on the Internet. The result is DOM (using
JXCSS library). Then I extract some information and modify the DOM. Finally I
transcode DOM back to CSS using XSLT and send it back to browser. Our tool is
something like special HTTP proxy.

Unfortunately there are many ugly CSS documenst on the Internet and Batik CSS
parser error handling is very different from that found in the major
webbrowsers. Maybe if you know about better CSS parsing library... ;-)

BR

--
Martin Zdila
CTO