From "Thomas Pifre" <tomap...@googlemail.com>
Subject Batik 1.7 - Transcoder - Chinese Font
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 15:20:07 GMT
Hi All,

I've created a Java servlet that transforms some SVG content into a JPG
image using the Transcoder API as described on:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/transcoder.html

On my local MS Windows XP it transforms nicely the SVG into JPG.
However on my SUSE Linux 9 SP3 machine I'm getting squares instead of
chinese characters. So I guess it has something to do with the fonts
installed on this server.

I've tried several ways to work around this issue as I don't want to change
my server settings (yet):
*transform my MS Windows TTF (SimSun) into SVG using batik-ttf2svg.jar then
call it from my SVG using <font-face /> this didn't work
*call my TTF from a <font-face> this didn't work
<defs>
        <![CDATA[
          @font-face {
            font-family: 'SimSunLocal';
            src: url("font/simsun.ttf") format(svg)
          }
        ]]>
</defs>
*use another font family (Albany? from ALBANWTT.TTF) that supports Chinese
characters this didn't work

What could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Thomas.