From "Sean Hanlon" <wanderer3...@gmail.com>
Subject Using multiple JSVGCanvas' in a CardLayout - Heap Overflow
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 12:48:47 GMT
Hello all,

I am developing an application where I'd like a user to be able to click on
various parts of a scale (outside of Batik) and have it update the display
area. I have it working using a CardLayout where each component of the
CardLayout is a separate JSVGCanvas. As the user makes selections, the
appropriate card is shown.

This is working as I'd like it to, however, when I resize the application a
large amount (not scientific I know -- small resizes have no trouble,
maximizing for example causes the unwanted behaviour) I get a
"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

I know I can increase the size of the Java heap, but I was hoping to
understand why this was happening. If I don't resize in a large increment at
once, I see no problems.

It is possible that my choice of having separate JSVGCanvas' for each card
is a mistake; however it resizes everything appropriately and all. I tried
removing the CardLayout and, on user selection, add the JSVGCanvas to the
panel directly (so on resizes only the currently visible canvas is resized).
The problem I saw with this approach is that the JSVGCanvas wasn't scaled
and didn't maximize the display area as it does when I load them all at
initialization in the CardLayout.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any thought you might have on this.

-S