From "John C. Turnbull" <ozem...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject RE: Possible SMIL support issue
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:02:51 GMT
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply.

Doing as you said does indeed stop the error but the script still does not
execute as intended.  The stars that appear are supposed to follow the path
of the squiggle that is generated when you click the mouse.  Can you see any
reason why this is not happening that way?

Thanks,

John

From: thomas.deweese@kodak.com [mailto:thomas.deweese@kodak.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 August 2008 20:01
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Cc: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Possible SMIL support issue

Hi John,

"John C. Turnbull" <ozemale@ozemail.com.au> wrote on 08/25/2008 08:24:21 AM:

> I saw this SVG mentioned in a message to the SVG Developers list and
> tried it out with the latest build of Batik.  It complains that the
> method cloneNode in AbstractNode does not exist.
>
> What does this mean exactly?

   It means that the JavaScript is trying to pass a string "true"
to a method that takes a boolean.  If you change the call to
cloneNode so that it passes "true" without the quotes it seems to
work.

> Is this a method that Batik is supposed to have implemented
> and/or is it something to do with the state of SMIL support in Batik?

   It's more of an artifact of how Batik's Java implementation of
the DOM interfaces with Rhino (the Java based JavaScript interpreter).
Since Java is strongly typed it tries to find a method that matches
the call from JavaScript.  A native JavaScript implementation would
accept the string and since it isn't 'null' it would be treated as
passing 'true'.