From Steve Peterson <stevep...@zpfe.com>
Subject Batik feature and performance query
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:37:42 GMT
Hi everyone -- new to the list, am evaluating Batik for a potential
project at my employer.

We're need to do basic compositing of images -- i.e., overlaying a
photograph with a decorative frame, or inserting simple text overlay
into images.  We can't control what browser is used, so will need to
generate JPEGs to send back to the browser.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but the ones I have now are:

1.  I'd like to be able to wrap Batik in a simple web service that
accepts as input a SVG document, and returns a JPEG -- kind of like
the SVG Rasterizer but http focused.  Is there a common way of doing this?

2.  I stripped the sydney.svg sample document of the interactive
features and filter effects, and find that I can render it about once
a second using the SVG Rasterizer (rendering 10 copies and averaging)
on my notebook (Core Duo T7500 and JDK 1.6).  Is this typical performance?

3.  What's the best way to get good performance out of Batik?  Does
it make good use of multicore machines?  Are there opportunities to
leverage video card support to improve performance?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I'm looking forward to learning more.

Steve