From "Mikael" <mikael-arons...@telia.com>
Subject Re: Why is Batik so complex?
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:50:53 GMT
There are a lot of people using SVG, and SVG is the only "real" vector graphics standard that
exist*, almost all browsers except one has SVG support in one form or another (Safari, Firefox,
Chrome, Opera and so on), Microsoft will off course do everything they can to avoid having
to support SVG and it was a bit nasty of Adobe to stop supporting the SVG plugin though.

But if you  take a look at the number of people complaining about the lack of SVG support
in IE I think you will find SVG to be pretty well alive and kicking at the moment.

I know a lot of people that refuse to install Silverlight just for the simple reason that
they are so tired of getting the "Would you like to install silverlight" popping up when ever
you get close to any of Microsofts websites.

Flash is a pretty different beast compared to SVG, they have the advantage that flash is installed
on almost all computers that exist but flash does not do the same
thing as SVG and the other way around, depending on the type of application you might want
to use flash instead of SVG or the other way around.

Javascript can do a lot of neat stuff but getting it to work on all browsers is a pain in
the lower regions.

* yes there is stuff like CGM but that is pretty dead today, and WMF/EMF is not a standard
with any one but MS.