From "Andreas Neumann" <a.neum...@carto.net>
Subject SVG is alive, was: Re: Why is Batik so complex?
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:00:34 GMT
I can only confirm that interest about SVG is alive and growing.

At the SVG Open conference (http://www.svgopen.org/2008/) in August in
Nuremberg we had presence from all browser makers, except Microsoft. A lot
of important mobile phone companies had been around. Inkscape was present
as well as KDE. If you look at the SVG Open speakers list you will see
that a number of important companies, universities and research institutes
presented at the SVG Open developers conference. SVG is even used to
visualize results and state of the world biggest machine, the Large Hadron
Collider in Geneva.

KDE4 uses SVG a lot and I think it is for KDE's and SVG's benefit that a
whole desktop environment builds around SVG and CSS. The Inkscape and KDE
developers also promised to be more actively involved with the SVG
specification process. They did a number of extensions to SVG which should
now be standardized in the main SVG specs. If you look at graphics and
multimedia software in the Open Source universe you will find SVG all over
the place.

In addition, almost all Ajax libraries use SVG/VML, and SVG support was
voted as the number one missing feature in Internet Explorer among the
OpenAjax developers
(http://www.openajax.org/runtime/wiki/Summary_Report#The_Top_Requested_Features)

Finally, Tim Berners-Lee publically criticized Microsoft for the lack of
SVG support in IE - which is a remarkable step, since Tim Berners-Lee
usually does not comment on preferred browsers and usually does not
criticize browser makers (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26646919/).

Andreas

> Thus spake "Mikael":
>>
>> There are a lot of people using SVG, and SVG is the only "real" vector =
>> graphics standard that exist*, almost all browsers except one has SVG =
>> support in one form or another (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and so =
>> on), Microsoft will off course do everything they can to avoid having to
>> =
>> support SVG and it was a bit nasty of Adobe to stop supporting the SVG =
>> plugin though.
>
> Given that there are several popular SVG illustration programs (e.g.,
> Inkscape), there's a huge community of people making icons in SVG,
> SVG is nice to work with, and there's no plausible competitor, I
> wouldn't worry about SVG going away any time soon.
>
> --
> J.

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 GrĂ¼t/Gossau, Switzerland
Email: a.neumann@carto.net, Web:
* http://www.carto.net/ (Carto and SVG resources)
* http://www.carto.net/neumann/ (personal page)
* http://www.svgopen.org/ (SVG Open Conference)