From "John C. Turnbull" <ozem...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject RE: Text rendering issues - again
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:13:09 GMT
Hi Helder,

Yes, interesting and useful for anyone who wants the best appearance for
text with Batik.

However, I have been reliably informed by Dmitri Trembovetski of Sun that
the method of placing an opaque rectangle behind the text will not work in
achieving sub-pixel antialiasing beyond Java 6 Update 12 for a few complex
reasons relating to the off-screen buffer in Batik being a BufferedImage
rather than a VolatileImage.  The longer term goal is for sub-pixel
antialiasing to work on all surfaces, opaque, translucent or other and Java
will eventually support this (even without the need for the opaque
rectangle) but Dmitri was unable to say when this might be implemented.

Cheers,

John