From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Fw: SVG Text rendering
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:25:19 GMT
I'm forwarding this to batik-users as this doesn't seem to be an issue
with code in FOP. Even when viewed in Squiggle, the attached file ends
up blank (1.7 and trunk).

I noticed that I get the desired output if I wrap each textPath element
in its own text element. I'm not sure if this is a Batik problem or not.

Forwarded by Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch>
 From:    Martin Jacobson <jacobson.martin@gmail.com>
 To:      fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
 Date:    Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:34:48 +0000
 Subject: Re: SVG Text rendering
----

On 15 Nov 2008, at 08:16, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

>> obviously, the pdf doesn't respect the font spec in the style sheet.
>> Furthermore, its treatment of text on a path is no better than
>> before;
>> viz three textPaths are rendered, out of around 100.
>
> Ok, in that case we're at a point where I'll ask you to send me a test
> file that I can run. In my tests, text on a path was painted as text.
> But there are still situations (for example with filter operations)
> where this is not possible and Batik produces the text internally
> using
> bitmaps. If I can take a look at your test files, I can tell you
> exactly
> it doesn't work in any special case.

OK, here is the command I used...

Martin:Batik martin$ java -jar batik-rasterizer.jar -m application/pdf
-d ~/Desktop/batik-test.pdf ~/Desktop/batik-test.svg
About to transcode 1 SVG file(s)

Converting batik-test.svg to /Users/martin/Desktop/batik-
test.pdf ... ... success
Martin:Batik martin$

I attach the test file: a set of roads in London's West End. Viewing
this in Safari or Firefox gives you an idea of what I expect. The pdf
I get from batik shows a complete blank.

I hope this helps - thanks for your time!

Martin

Jeremias Maerki