From "Helder Magalhães" <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [1.7] GVTBuilder.build gives NPE (sometimes)
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:38:36 GMT
> It looks a threading issue. But I don't use any threading in my own code. There
> is only the EDT I guess going about its business (I use a JSVGCanvas).

Yes, it does look like a threading problem. Please take a look at the
documentation on updating stuff within the Java environment [1].

> ps: Sorry if these are FAQs.

More or less. You'll find many references to the "UpdateManager"
within the "3. Troubleshooting Apache Batik" section of official FAQ
[2]. Although no item seems to perfectly fit this particular problem,
maybe one similar to the following should be added:

3.1. Why is Batik behaving weirdly and/or I sometimes get a
NullPointerException?
In 90% of the cases, this means that you are a manipulating the
document from Java without following the recommended method
(http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/scripting/java.html#Threads).

"3.1" was added on purpose in order for it to appear first, as in fact
this is one of the more frequently asked. Please double check your
code. ;-)

Hope this helps,

  Helder Magalhães

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/scripting/java.html#Threads