From "Helder Magalhães" <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue with handling JSVGCanvas updates asynchronous
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:09:23 GMT
> Are 80 changes per second to much for batik?

As far as I know, this number of changes will be typically more than
feasible for Batik. Nevertheless, I can imagine it will (tightly)
depend on the available hardware, complexity of changes and/or canvas
complexity. Best will always be conducting few tests using a prototype
application.

Nevertheless, I did some performance research [1] a few months ago,
although (unfortunately for answering your question) not exclusively
focused in Batik. Changing a single properly for about 250 objects in
a canvas I'd consider graphically simple (hundreds of objects but no
CPU intensive stuff such as animation, gradients, text, etc.) was
pretty efficient, even compared to other native SVG implementations.
These manipulations are done through scripting (within the SVG scope),
so updating from the Java environment should be even quicker. ;-)

Hope this helps,

 Helder Magalhães

[1] http://www.svgopen.org/2008/papers/44-Visualization_and_interaction_with_Synoptics/#d4e265