From Jan Tošovský <j.tosov...@tiscali.cz>
Subject RE: Rasterizing of SVG file with the linked graphics fails if CMYK icc profile is specified
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:42:27 GMT
> > I've supposed (maybe wrong) if CMYK ICC profile is
> > applied to RGB image (offset printing in my case), it will
> > be displayed on monitor (or exported to any format) similarly
> > to the printed output (~ soft proof).

> No, this use of icc-profiles is to specify what color space the
> data in the file is really described in.  In other words it's for
> specifying an input profile, you want to specify an output profile.

Ok, so for most of images it needn't to be specified as default value 'auto'
reads this info directly from image.

> > if JPEG is converted into CMYK:
> > - in Photoshop: it is read in Batik, but on my PC both JPEG
> > and PDF outputs are in negative.

> Did you try applying the ICC profile in this case?

In that time no. As written above, it should work correctly as profile from
image should be read automatically by default (written in SVG
specification).

I've tested it now with color-profile specified, but I am getting old known
warning message ... mismatching number of components... and raster image is
ignored in the output.

When trying ImageMagick's identify -verbose flower_ps.jpg, I am getting 4
cmyk channels and cmyk profile included. Image converted into cmyk using
ImageMagick has similar 4 channel info & profile included, but Batik
conversion fails with error JPEG URL is corrupt or unsupported variant. In
both cases there is Endianess: Undefined. I remeber one problem in OpenGL,
where bitmap is not stored in RGB order and values of each pixel had to be
swapped. But it is not negative like in this case.
Files can found at
http://nio.astronomy.cz/batik/flower_ps.jpg (Photoshop CMYK)
http://nio.astronomy.cz/batik/flower_im.jpg (ImageMagick CMYK)
http://nio.astronomy.cz/batik/flower_orig.jpg (original in RGB)

> > It discouraged me from trying to make very basic 'soft
> > proof' of SVG file in Batik. I'll use RGB images.

> Sorry, It would be difficult to make Batik support images
> with anything other than 3 color bands.

No problem. I understand it is open source. BTW, very nice piece of
software. Thanks for it.

Jan