From Jan Tošovský <j.tosov...@tiscali.cz>
Subject RE: Rasterizing of SVG file with the linked graphics fails if CMYK icc profile is specified
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:13:46 GMT
Hi Thomas,

> I don't think Batik supports 4 channel colorspaces for Raster content
> (for a number of SVG features I think this would be undefined, in
particular
> Filters and Masks).

> > but during rasterizing to JPEG or PDF I am getting error
> > Input image and asociated color profile have mismatching number of color
> > components: conversion is not possible.

> I should say that the above error sounds like your JPEG doesn't
> have 4 channels

Yes, JPEG has only RGB channels.

BTW, I've supposed (maybe wrong) if CMYK ICC profile is applied to RGB image
(offset printing in my case), it will be displayed on monitor (or exported
to any format) similarly to the printed output (~ soft proof). I know it
from Photoshop where the mode can be switched from RGB to CMYK. You can
observe color changes without necessity to have original image saved in CMYK
mode. If image have to be distributed, yes, it must be saved first (jpeg or
tiff format).

> (although it's also possible that our JPEG reader doesn't
> know how to load 4 channels).

For those who are interested, if JPEG is converted into CMYK:
- in Photoshop: it is read in Batik, but on my PC both JPEG and PDF outputs
are in negative.
- via ImageMagick: Batik complains that JPEG URL is corrupt or unsupported
variant

It discouraged me from trying to make very basic 'soft proof' of SVG file in
Batik. I'll use RGB images.

Thanks to all for response.

Jan