From "John C. Turnbull" <ozem...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject FW: Browser-based scripting in Batik applets - conclusions
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:55:02 GMT
I should add that it was not possible to use scripts unchanged.  They needed
to be modified to invoke public methods in the applet which in turn invoked
Batik methods to manipulate the DOM where required.

John

From: John C. Turnbull [mailto:ozemale@ozemail.com.au]
Sent: Monday, 9 March 2009 20:13
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Browser-based scripting in Batik applets - conclusions

I posted some time ago about my intentions to try using the JavaScript
engine within a web browser to execute scripts in a Batik applet instead of
the default Rhino environment.  I can now report that I have managed to get
this kind of scripting working using a continuous animation script and the
results are, as expected, unspectacular.

With Firefox 3.0.7 the scripts run a little faster than they do with Rhino
but with Chrome they run significantly slower (so much for V8).  With IE 7
and Safari they run about the same speed as Rhino.  On Opera I haven't been
able to get the scripting to work and I don't have the time to put any more
effort into that.  I haven't tried any other browsers.

So overall there is no compelling reason to use this technology other than
that it enables smaller applet sizes because of the omission of the Rhino
JAR.  However, given that internet speeds are increasing at a steady rate
and that even with the Rhino JAR included the applet still downloads in an
acceptable time frame, I don't see this as significant.

I hope you find this information interesting.  This exercise has been
beneficial in my enhancing understanding of Batik, scripting and applets so
I don't consider it a waste of resources.

Cheers,

John C. Turnbull