From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: Browser-based scripting in Batik applets - conclusions
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:16:01 GMT
Hi John,

[from a previous post]
> I posted some time ago about my intentions to try using the JavaScript
> engine within a web browser to execute scripts in a Batik applet instead of
> the default Rhino environment.  I can now report that I have managed to get
> this kind of scripting working using a continuous animation script and the
> results are, as expected, unspectacular.
[...]
> I don’t have the time to put any more effort into that.

Cool, even if left incomplete, it would be great if you made this
available. I'd suggest a patch attached to a RFE (request for
extension) so that someone else may be able to improve and/or reuse in
other contexts. Also, even if currently not awesome, give the steady
speed improvement of browser scripting engines, it may well become
suitable in a near future! ;-)

> So overall there is no compelling reason to use this technology other than
> that it enables smaller applet sizes because of the omission of the Rhino
> JAR.  However, given that internet speeds are increasing at a steady rate
> and that even with the Rhino JAR included the applet still downloads in an
> acceptable time frame, I don’t see this as significant.

Agreed. If you use JDK1.5+ clients and use the pack200 [1] method to
repackage the Batik Jars, then this may become even smoother. :-)

[from a post replied to]
> I should add that it was not possible to use scripts unchanged.  They needed
> to be modified to invoke public methods in the applet which in turn invoked
> Batik methods to manipulate the DOM where required.

Weird, as far as I know, this would not be required. If I recall
properly, if you implemented the scripting COM interfaces from ActiveX
to Java, scripts should be able to run unmodified. But probably Batik
needed to be repackaged as an ActiveX. My knowledge in this area is
pretty limited, though... ;-)

Thanks for sharing,
  Helder

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/pack200.html