From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Portrait rotation
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:22:38 GMT
Hi Jan,

> thanks for your links, although it is not my case, it helped me to name my problem at
least.
> I've met there keyword Exif orientation. It seems to me that this info is not read from
the image
> (like in IrfanView and other tools) so I am getting not rotated output.
> Is this Exif info supported? Are even older versions of this specification supported?
> Image was taken by 5 years old Canon Ixus V3.

It's still unclear (at least to me) what are you trying to do. In
general, one should explain the goal, not the particular step in which
something didn't go as expected [1]. Providing more information and/or
samples would probably help: what's the use case, attach a sample
image taken with that camera, etc..

Thing is Batik isn't exactly an image viewer so, without investigating
properly, I'd say that the Exif orientation metadata [2] might not be
supported. On the other hand, by using an SVG transform as stated in
my previous message, you may be able to workaround the (potential)
issue.

Maybe Thomas DeWeese (expert in SVGGraphics2D and Rasterizer [2]) can
shed some light on this, but this will likely be difficult without
having more details. Please take the time to explain what you intend
(from the start, not from the particular orientation issue).

Regards,
 Helder Magalhães

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal
[2] http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html