From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Squiggle: Windows Symbol Characters
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:47:00 GMT
Hi Wulf,

> I'm using Squiggle on Batik 1.7 for displaying SVG graphics an just
> wondering why some symbols are shown and others not where other SVG viewers
> show the expected symbol (e.g. Wingdings)
>
> As I found out characters encoded as "native" Private Use Unicode characters
> (U+F020 ... U+F0FF) are rendered correctly by Squiggle the (same) symbols
> encoded in the "ANSI area" U+0020..U+00FF are substituted by the default
> font.

I haven't tried to reproduce this (specially because I have little
expertize in this area), so I'd invite you to:
1. Check if a recent, somehow related post [1] where handling Unicode
character references is addressed, if there's information useful to
this issue also;
2. Check if this reproduces in the trunk version [2] (1.8pre) or, if
you are not comfortable with building Batik, use a nightly build [3];
3. If the bug still reproduces, please create a report in the bug
tracker [4] so this won't get lost:
   3.1. Please add a link to this thread [5] as the bug's URL (or
within the bug report);
   3.2. Please attach a the simplest test case on can come up with
(you already provided part of it) to the bug report;
4. Please follow up in this thread (so a reader can easily jump to the
bug report, know about ways to workaround the issue.

Hope this helps,
 Helder Magalhães

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Support-for-Adobe-Pro-opentype-fonts-td22996026.html
[2] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/download.cgi#Subversion+repository