From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject RE: Support for Adobe Pro opentype fonts
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:30:59 GMT
Hi Jan,

Jan To?ovsk√Ĺ <j.tosovsky@tiscali.cz> wrote on 04/16/2009 03:12:30 PM:

> > My guess is that the Java Font instance is returning  'false' for
> > java.awt.Font.canDisplay(char ch).
>
> Unfortunately this can be easily approved as I can't see my, in the
system
> instaled, font via Java. Is there any chance to test it on font as local
> file, not in the system?

   Yes, see:
        Font.createFont(int fontType, java.io.InputStream src);

   You can simply pass a java.io.FileInputStream (constructed to
reference the font file) as the second argument and I believe
Font.TRUETYPE_FONT for the first argument.

> > You could try replacing the line in
batik.gvt.renderer.StrokingTextPainter
> > where we limit char display to those the font says it can display
(line 464):

> Ok. On the line 464 I've changed variable displayUpToIndex to -1, later
> 'end', later commented some other lines, uncommented some comments, but
> nothing helps.

   If you did that and still got square boxes then almost certainly the
Font really can't display those characters (at least from Java).  The
problem is likely because the font is using unofficial unicode code
points.