From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: Proper attribution for use of Batik
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:10:23 GMT
On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 06:15:26AM -0500, thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> t murr <twaintwist@gmail.com> wrote on 10/30/2009 04:45:53 PM:
>
> > Our software (website) would like to use Batik ----  can you tell us
> > how we should provide attribution for the use of Batik on our site?
> > --- are there other websites that you can point us to that do it right?
> ----
>
>     Thanks for considering providing attribution.  I'm not aware of
> existing standards on providing attribution.  I would suggest a link to:
>
>         http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/
>
>     Attached to either the xmlgraphics badge:
>         http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/images/group-logo.png
>
> or the Batik 'logo':
>         http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/images/batik.png

These days the ASF guards its trademarks and logos. For the current
policy see http://apache.org/foundation/marks/. I believe the above
suggestions are withing that policy, see esp. the following phrases:

"Examples of permitted nominative fair use:

        * "This <here> is the graphic logo for Apache Foo software."

and

"Using the Apache Foo (and similar) graphic logos:

You needn't ask us for permission to use Apache's graphics logos (the
versions published on individual project's websites) on your own
website solely as a hyperlink to the specific Apache project website
or to www.apache.org. All other uses of Apache Foo (and similar)
graphic logos must be approved in writing by the Apache PRC.

Unlike ASF's word trademarks (such as "Apache" and "Foo"), our graphic
logos are also licensed to the public under the Apache License. That
license permits you to create derivative works of those logos, as with
any other Apache copyrighted work. However, trademark law does not
allow you to apply any "confusingly similar" derivative logo to
software if a relevant consumer would likely be confused by that use
of that derivative logo."

So, please go ahead, and thanks for considering providing attribution.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu