From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SVG update performances over X11 export display
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:07:08 GMT
Hi Olivier,

> I modify the
> document in the thread
>
> getUpdateManager().getUpdateRunnableQueue().invokeLater

Good, this is the recommended way [1] for doing it. :-)

> but I have several elements to change, and for the moment, I do a lot of
> invokeLater. In my local machine, it runs very well. I try an export display
> (linux, rhel) and the performances are completely degraded.
>
> Is there a best practice to have good performances with X11 export display?
>
> Of course, I’ll first try to make 1 big invokeLater, unless somebody says it
> is pointless...

I haven't tried to profile myself but making a big document updates is
intuitively quicker: it will cause less document repaints. This
performance benefits is expected independently of hardware/platform,
but naturally it will be noticed whenever there's a bottleneck (in
this case, apparently the display export).

I'm convinced you'll find related posts within the mailing list archives. ;-)

Regards,
 Helder

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/scripting/java.html