From Joel Carranza <...@gatekeeper.com>
Subject Re: CleanerThread never terminates, causes leaks in webapp
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:52:04 GMT

This is a real problem in cases where you want to perform a "hot redeploy" of
a webapp within Tomcat or other application servers. Single JVM, multiple
classloaders. A classloader (and all its classes) can only get GC'ed if
everything is cleaned up (including running threads). If you don't, after a
couple of deploys you get  a PermGen: Out of Memory error.

GeoTools basically has the identical problem
[http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-2742]. I will investigate how to apply
a similar approach and submit a patch.

cheers,

Joel Carranza