From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Batik and Java 7 non-compliancy
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:24:43 GMT
Hi Michiel,

over the years I've worked on and off on removing the com.sun dependency.
This is about 99% done in Batik Trunk (which is stable enough to be used
in production (which I do)). There is a 1% uncertainty concerning
aspects of color fidelity. This has not been verified mostly due to lack
of knowledge and time on my part. I haven't installed and done tests
with Java 7, yet, so I can't tell if the Batik Trunk build would run
through. But there's a good chance that Batik Trunk compiles with Java 7.

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/download.cgi#Subversion+repository

HTH

On 21.12.2011 13:07:37 Bronswijk, Michiel wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> The current Batik release 1.7 is not compliant with Java 7 and gives build errors on
the obsolete Sun graphics libraries (Oracle removed them in Java 7).

> For example:
>

> batik\sources\org\apache\batik\ext\awt\image\codec\jpeg\JPEGImageWriter.java:30:
> error: package com.sun.image.codec.jpeg does not exist
>

> Is there a new release planned soon that solves these issues?  Personally I do not use
the JPEG and TIFF functionality in Batik so I can use the compiled jar instead for the time
being, but I'm not sure if this also works when you actually use this functionality. I would
expect you will get class not loaded exceptions on the obsolete sun classes.

> Regards,
>

> Michiel Bronswijk.
>

> Michiel Bronswijk
>
> Software Engineer
>
> SE-1
>
> Océ-Technologies B.V. * A Canon Group Company
>
> P.O. Box 101 * 5900 MA  Venlo
>
> St. Urbanusweg 43 * 5914 CA  Venlo * The Netherlands
>
> T +31 (0)77 359 5694
>
> E Michiel.Bronswijk@oce.com <mailto:Michiel.Bronswijk@oce.com>  * W www.oce.com
<http://www.oce.com/>

> Trade Register Number: 122002662
>

> This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.

> If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

> If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately
by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

> Thank you for your co-operation.

Jeremias Maerki