From DeWeese Thomas <thomas.dewe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Path transcoding problems with Batik
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:38:17 GMT
Hi Werner,
    The result is much better if you add shape-rendering="geometricPrecision" either to the
path or the containing group.  It may be that by adjusting the miter limit you could also
mitigate/eliminate the issue (the jags look to me like miters gone wild).

    Thomas

On Oct 30, 2012, at 8:23 AM, Werner Guttmann <werner.guttmann@indoqa.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are trying to transcode an SVG into a PNG using Apache Batik, and we are having problems
with the quality of some SVG artefacts (mainly pathes, using a pattern).

> I have attached a small set of files that should be sufficient to assess the problem,
including ...

> 1) A very minimal SVG file (with one pattern definition and a path that actually uses
that pattern).
> 2) A screen shot of a PNG after transcoding, that shows (for the path jags in the upper
right area.

> Our observations are:
>
> a) When we view the SVG file in e.g. Inkscape, everything looks just fine (i.e. the path
is smooth and there are no jags).
> b) Once we use Batik to transcode this image to a PNG, we are starting to see those jags
appear (as with this very path).

> One more thing:
>
> - We are not in control of e.g. the pattern definition, as that's controlled externally.
And the very same SVG is being used on a web site where the rendering of SVG artefacts is
done through flash and does not cause this problem.