From Barry Kreiser <ba...@guild1.com>
Subject Re: TextPainter
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:24:49 GMT
thanks Thomas.

I guess that I am wondering how I can get the Java2D implementation of the Graphics2D to render
the SVG as text values instead of outlines.  I am drawing some SVG along with native Java2D
calls but then when I render all of that to another svg some of the text shows up as strokes
while the text that I drew using drawString shows up as SVG text objects.

So

SVG & Native Java2D -----> Into a Swing Canvas -----> Back to SVG ---> And then
on to PDF via FOP and XSL

On 2013-02-13, at 5:11 PM, DeWeese Thomas <thomas.deweese@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>   The PDF Transcoder using code from FOP doesn't have a full StrokingTextPainter (which
doesn't really mean what you think it means) implementation but it tries to detect "simple"
text and render that with drawString.

>   FYI the StrokingTextPainter doesn't generally draw all text as outlines but it does
draw it as GlyphVectors which is really required to implement all of the text effects required
by the SVG standard (and most Graphics2D implementations turn those into Outlines) .  It's
called StrokingTextPainter because it can, optionally, stroke the text it renders (meaning
draw a fat line around the outline of the text, which does need to be done as outlines).