From "Craig S. Kaplan" <...@uwaterloo.ca>
Subject Re: Convert stroke to boollean unioned path
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:04:38 GMT
Marius,

I don't think there's a way to do this directly in Batik, but Batik is written in Java and
Java offers some support for tracing paths.  If you can extract a java.awt.geom.Path2D from
Batik (and I think there's a way to do this, though the Batik source base might still use
the older GeneralPath class), then you can define a java.awt.Stroke object (for example, a
BasicStroke) and invoke its createStrokedShape method passing in the Path2D as an argument.
 That Stroked Shape is the enclosing path that you're looking for.  If you need to compute
booleans on Shapes, you can use the java.awt.geom.Area class.  I can't speak to how reliable
and robust their code is, but I've used it a couple of times in the past without a problem.

Hope that helps.

> Inkscape has a method to convert strokes into its enclosing paths as can be
> read on http://inkscape.org/doc/advanced/tutorial-advanced.html and easily
> tried within the software.
>
> It even more combines intersecting paths in some boolean union style. E.g.
> just enter a text with a stroke of huge width, and then convert and you will
> see that the resulting outline path is an offset line around the text.
>
> Do you know how to accomplish a similar procedure in Batik?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Marius

Craig S. Kaplan
University of Waterloo
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~csk/
"If civilization is to survive, it must live on the interest,
not the capital, of nature." -- Ronald Wright