From Robert Marcano <rob...@marcanoonline.com>
Subject Re: getBBox values not consistent with Chrome
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:35:20 GMT
On 11/19/2013 12:44 PM, kototama kototama wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm calculating the bbox value of a group containing a rectangle to
> adapt its dimension to the text it contained.

If the calculation is not dynamic, but done on Java before dumping the
SVG XML, the problem may be related to the real font used. There is no
guarantee that the UA displaying the SVG has the font, or the font has
exactly the same metric that the one you used to calculate the sizes

In an ideal world were everyone comply with the latest standard, you
have a few options:

1- Transform the text to shapes

   The infallible solution

2- Make the font available to the browser using a browser supported font
format

   Never tried this, but it could work for no complex western languages
where laying out text hasn't complex rules

2- Transform the font to a SVG Font

   Not all UA/browsers have support for SVG Fonts (Firefox hasn't, not
sure about Chrome)

3- User SVG flow elements

   Batik has some extensions for this, no standard, SVG 1.2 has proposal
for that but there isn't any 1.2 compliant browser, and Batik isn't 1.2
compliant either