From James Richardson <james.richard...@db.com>
Subject Re: HELP DRIVER!
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:52:25 GMT
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. wrote:

> From: Bob Leif,
> To: James Richardson
> I am dead serious. Evidently, you have had no experience with Ada 95.
> Ada is much better at modeling XML than Java. I realize that Java is a
> marketing success. Unfortunately, it is based to a great extent on
> obsolete technology. For instance, it lacks: generics (templates),
> enumerated types, and range checking. Ada is also safe enough for the
> Boeing 777 flight control system and the French railroads.

Look, I know your Commodore 64 is much better than my Amstrad, but thats
not really the point. Ada may well be great (Or it might not be, that's
not the point I'm making), but its use in non
educational/military/safety critical systems is limited. Even if
somebody were to write a super-dooper FO transformer in ada, working for
a large company, I probably couldn't use it, as my applications are all
java, and the integration would be difficult.

If you want, please write <any app you want> in ada, but just popping
your head round the door, and saying "'drop everything!' this other
thing is much better" accomplishes little.

I don't think a lengthy Java v. Ada conversation going on in this list
would do much for the state of FOP as we know it, either....

Best Regards,

James