From Chris.Br...@scotland.gsi.gov.uk
Subject RE: FOP Scalability
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 11:46:03 GMT
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely
 for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

I realise that more servers could be an answer, but unfortunately this is
not likely to happen
Is there a way to limit the memory allocation that FOP uses.
(but then that poses the problem of what to do if we run out)
It is imperative that the FOP does not fail, as it generating recipts to our
users..
Answers on a postcard ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch]
Sent: 10 May 2002 12:42
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: FOP Scalability

You could have additional servers (can be low-cost) and use JMS to post
jobs to a queue. These additional servers will listen on the queue
(automatic load-balancing through use of JMS), generate PDFs and send a
message back that the file is ready to be taken by the front servlet.

> I have FOP 0.20.3 running successfully on my web server and was wondering
> what the best way to control the scalability of it. There is a possibility
> that 30 + users may be requesting a PDF page at the same time and as you
all
> know FOP is not too kind on memory usage. The PDF being produced are only
10
> pages max so its just the cost of the processing on the web server that is
> the problem.
> I have seen ideas about limiting the number of FOP processes running at
one
> time but I dont want to have users waiting for minutes for their PDF page
> be displayed.
> Does any one have any other ideas ?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch

The original of this email has been scanned for viruses by the Government
Secure Intranet (GSI) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable &
Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

GSI users - for further details, please contact the GSI Nerve Centre, or
browse GNC 003/2002 at http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/new2002notices.htm

In case of problems, please call your organisations IT helpdesk.

This email has been received from an external party and
has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.