From "roni nemerovsky - hotmail" <roni_nemerov...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: UniCode - ?
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:29:44 GMT
Did you mean to send this response to me !?
Is this response the reply to my problem !?
Roni N.

----- Original Message -----
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@yahoo.de>
To: <fop-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: UniCode - ?

ali_binus@softhome.net wrote:
> yeah that is what i mean. Where and how i put the encoding? (the declaration
> or what ever in my line code..)

The first line of an XML file is the XML declaration.
   <?xml version="1.0"?>
You can declare an encoding there:
   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
UTF-8 ist the default encoding, so the two declarations are
equivalent.
Every XML parser has to understand UTF-8 and UTF-16, most
understand other encodings, like ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1).

> and how i know the type of encoding that i use?

There is no way to diagnose this remotely, you have to
know this by yourself. Most editors only know "native
encoding", some of the more recent provide for choosing
an encoding while saving.

> actually i want to use Thai
> encoding, but i don't know from where i get the encoding type for the Thai.

In general, you don't have to. If you have an editor which
natively supports entering Thai characters, check the
documentation or whatever configuration settings the editor
has for the encoding used. Set the encoding name in the
XML declaration and hope the XML parser understands it (if
not, you'll get an error). If you can choose the encoding,
prefer UTF-8 or UTF-16.
If you have an ASCII editor, you can use XML character references
for entering Thai characters. You just wont see Thai glyphs on
the screen. The Thai characters start at Unicode code point
U+0E00, you can use &0x0E01; etc.

J.Pietschmann