From "Michael Ivancsics" <mich...@ivancsics.co.at>
Subject Re: TrueType Font without Embedding
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:11:53 GMT
I use Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 on a Windows 2000 and even with this, I don't succeed in "not embedding"
a Truetype font like Arial.
I used the procedure described in the documentation
(generate such a font metrics file from a PFM file..)
To avoid the null pointer exception I used fop 0.20.2 or fixed the little bug, both methods
lead to the same result.
My result is however, a document where  the characters that shoud appear in the truetype font
are unreadable (any strange uppercase letters ...)
My problem is not data quality, I wonder why it doesn't work at all.
Did I miss a point?

Thanks for any help.
Michael Ivancsics

------- your message was: --------------------------------------------------
Ray Cheuk wrote:
> I am working on PDF outputs with TrueType fonts.  As the outputs are
> intended to be use on clients that have the font installed, I don't want
> to use the embed method.

This doesn't work for a variety of reasons. Even if the small
bug preventing this immediately is fixed, there are still
problems with the data quality in the fonts. I also wasn't
able to get Acrobat Reader 4.0 to use local fonts at all, it
seems this was introduced wit 4.05 only.

You'll have to bite the bullet and use embedded fonts, at
least until the font data generation is much improved.
If you have knowledge about the TTF format you are welcome
to support the FOP team.

J.Pietschmann