From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: landscape table
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:23:24 GMT
G. Ken Holman wrote:
> Consider that the table to be formatted is nested deep down inside of a
> subsection of a section of a chapter of a volume of a publication:
> But ... to accomplish "a new page with a landscape page master" requires
> back-breaking mind-bending recursion and tracking of nested depth in
> order to put all the information up to the nested construct in one
> page-sequence, then the nested construct in the next page-sequence,
> followed by the remaining constructs from after the nested construct in
> the next page sequence.
I don't think this is really necessary. Of course,
you have to "un-nest" the structure, but you can
use apply-templates passing inherited properties down
as parameters until it reaches a block level structure
which has only inline children. The awkwardness of
this approach depends on how much different
properties are used, and whether there are accumulating
ones, like margins. However, for reasonably simple
layouts, this shouldn't be too hard. Another approach
could be to use two transformations, first use grouping
to pull the tables to the top-level, then do the final
transformation. This should work well enough if the
table presentation doesn't depend on the nesting.

> I honestly couldn't find an easier way to meet my customer's needs.
> Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I was accused of looking at
> something in too complex a fashion and getting off on a tangent ... as I
> say on the PSMI page, if someone can show me a simpler way to meet the
> needs as expressed, I would love to hear it.
Well, you certainly need such a construct if normal
text should at least potentially flow around the
landscaped table, which I would have found useful
in some cases. But then, XSLFO leaves quite a bit
to desire anyway, for example using balanced
multi-columns in table cells (think of newspaper
layouts), or the "table continued on next page"...

J.Pietschmann