From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: pdf/ps
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:50:35 GMT
Michael Welter wrote:
> Does anyone know of a utility which translates a PDF or PS file to
> XSL-FO?  I have a bunch of government PDF forms that I would like to
> generate from FOP.

Well, uncompressed PDF and PS can be viewed at with an
arbitrary text editor, try it.
There is basically no higher level structure, just
instructions to place strings and lines and other stuff
here and there. It is very hard to derive the structure
needed for building FOs from arbitrary PDF or PS.
Your best bet is probably to print the forms, take a
ruler and use the measurements to construct a FO file
with some tables or absolutely positioned block-containers.
The docs/examples directories have some examples of exactly
this.

J.Pietschmann