From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: euro sign and transformer exception
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:53:22 GMT
Michael Heinen wrote:
> I have a problem with the EUR sign. In my pdf docs a # apperas instead of
> it.
> I transform a xml source directly to pdf by using a content handler and
> firing the sax events.
>
> I tried to replace all EUR signs in the xml file by &#x20AC; but this does
> not work for me.
> I got the following exception:
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: An invalid XML character (Unicode:
> 0x1a) was found in the CDATA section.

A 0x1a is an EOF, this is unlikely to have something to do with
Euro signs. As the error message tells, this character must not
occur in an XML file, at any place.

> Its not possible for me to replace the EUR sign in the generation process of
> the xml source.
>
> The environment:
> fop 0.20.3 is running on a Win2K Server and on an AIX Server.
> The encoding in my xml file is set to ISO-8859-1.
If someone claims to have put Euro signs in an XML file without
representing them as character reference (i.e. &#x20AC; or a
variant), then the file can't be encoded as ISO-8859-1. Probably
it is Windows code page 1252.

Complain to the XML producer about the illegal characters
and the improper encoding (either the declaration is wrong,
or the representation of the Euro signs), so that they can
fix it.

J.Pietschmann