xmlgraphics-fop-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Stote <RSt...@whitehilltech.com>
Subject RE: AW: TMCA
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:10:31 GMT
Folks, this is not the place for this kind of a conversation.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter B. West [mailto:pbwest@powerup.com.au] 
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 11:03 AM
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: AW: TMCA

Maybe the wiseguys around here should stop putting this non-English 
speaker down and spare a thought for what he is saying.  Sure, acronyms 
save some time, but there is a price.  I initially struggled with many 
acronyms, and I am a native.  Add to that the fact that certain acronyms 
(e.g. PITA) would be quite offensive to a non-native speaker unaware of 
the idiomatic usage, who is simply translating verbatim.

The fact is that we are trying to cultivate a multi-cultural 
environment.  Suggestions for improving that environment should be taken 
seriously, even if, in the end, they are not acted on.

Peter

Ben Fowler wrote:
> At 5:24 pm +0200 27/2/2003, Johan Åbrandt wrote:
> 
>>jaccoud@petrobras.com.br wrote:
>>
>>
>>>...
>>>This "lingo" thing feeld like slang, something that restrict groups use
to
>>>encode meaning in a way outsiders cannot percieve. Reading text stuffed
>>>with it is like talking to my teenager niece: sometimes I cannot
understand
>>>a word...
>>>But I must learn to live with it, otherwise when my 7-month old daughter
>>>begins to talk I willl be excluded....
>>
>>
>>So I guess "This 'lingo' thing" servers the same purpose as quoting
philosophers after your signature, i.e. to show that you belong to a group -
to which only persons of a certain standard - for example knowledge of
contemporary philosophy - or internet abreviations - can belong. It
increases your standing with persons who understand - and helps in keeping
distance from those who dont.
>>
>>Is this what you meant?
> 
> 
> I don't think that it is what he meant (but there is nothing wrong with
your argument).
> 
> As I read it, the OP saw a 4 letter acronym and thought that it related to
XSLT, XSL-FO, XHTML
> or some such, and felt hurt and a little sore when after some effort he
found that PITA did not
> relate to the subject domain.
> 
> I agree that a little help may be needed to get everyone up to speed with
abbreviations and
> acronyms used on mailing lists (AFAICT, FWIW, IIRC et cetera), but I would
argue that
> such abbreviations are for use rather than ornamentation, and strongly
concur with
> posting sites where they can be interpreted. I would add, for the benefit
of the OP, that
> they can be assigned the same meaning in different languages with no
penalty, save
> that the the letters don't match exactly:
> 
> <URL: http://www.intersolinc.com/newsletters/newsltr5.htm >
> 
> SI -> Système International -> International System of Units
> <URL: http://www.plexoft.com/SBF/S06.html >
> SIDA -> Syndrome immunodÈficitaire acquis -> Acquired Immuno-deficiency
Syndrome
> <URL: http://www.teenaids.org/gnTeens/glossary.html >

-- 
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: fop-user-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: fop-user-help@xml.apache.org

Mime
View raw message