From "Doray, Arnold" <a.do...@geos.com>
Subject Re: text disappear in svg
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:18:26 GMT
On 20.02.2003 07:12:04 Raimo Manninen wrote:
> When I set strokeSVGText to false texts in svg images disappears.
> This happens with some pdf viewers and sometimes when printed.
> I tested this with fop-0.20.4  and  fop-0.20.5rc2.
> No problems when strokeSVGText is true but quality is then bad, as we
> know.

This is a known problem, and I brought it up myself some time back,
on this list. It might be a Batik problem, not FOP.

It has been suggested that you use stroked text, but for some of us,
that's impractical if there are images with enough text in them - the
PDF file size becomes significantly larger. I've had to insert timeseries
graphs in the past, and found that the files became 10 times larger if
the text were stroked.

My "solution" was to use non-stroked text, and require my users to
view PDFs with Acrobat Reader 5, which renders and prints the PDFs
correctly, unlike Reader 4 and Ghostview. Acrobat 4 displays the PDF
correctly, but fails to print the file on some printers; Ghostview neither
displays correctly nor prints.

Arnold Doray
Fugro GEOS