From "Chris Bowditch" <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Generating ASCII output
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 17:16:06 GMT
Hi Vincent,

in general terms an XSL Formatting engine is the wrong tool for generating
Character Text output.

A XSL Formatting engine works with precise coordinates for formatting
objects, i.e. the text and when this is translated by a Text Renderer, the
coordinates must be rounded to the nearest line or character offset. Hence
why some lines sit ontop of one another and spacing between characters is
not right.

I recommend you write an XSL stylesheet that processes your XML directly to
Text. Theres no need for an XSL Formatter to work out pre-cise coordinates
for your text, only to convert these coordinates back to a character driven
textual output.