From "Adam Shelley" <ashel...@inlandkwbc.com>
Subject RE: FOP and IIS4/5
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:03:55 GMT
Hello,

I just recently started playing with this approach (calling FOP.bat from the
web, shelled out).  I noticed that things were taking a while to complete
but it seems to me that It waits for one to finish before it completes the
next.  Is this the case?  Do I need to modify the .bat file so that it can
run multiple instances of the javac program at the same time?  Am I just
crazy?

I would embed this in a java applet or something but I haven't the slightest
idea on how to get this up and running.  Java is way to foreign for me.

-Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff_Mitchell@accessbusinessgroup.com
[mailto:Jeff_Mitchell@accessbusinessgroup.com]
Sent: February 10, 2003 7:55 AM
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: FOP and IIS4/5

Matthew-

I've used FOP (with Sun's JRE, not Microsoft's -- see Oleg's note) with IIS
5 (and I would assume it would work with IIS 4) by basically writing an
ActiveX DLL that shells out to a call to the fop.bat file, and monitors a
log file of the output from the batch file to see when it's finished.

I later broke these steps out, because the render was taking quite a while
(lots of images, which were being pulled from a different server), and
basically wrapped everything with a bunch of VB "listener" apps, which
periodically checked a database of FOP requests.

Also, I believe someone came up with a .NET wrapper for FOP, which should
work under IIS, with the .NET framework installed.  If this interests you,
you might want to hit the archive; I believe the string ".NET" was in the
subject line.  If you want more information about my setup, I'd be happy to
provide it.

-Jeff

                    "Matthew
                    Lancashire"           To:     "Fop-User-Help \(E-mail\)"
<fop-user@xml.apache.org>
                    <m.lancashire@i       cc:
                    es.uk.com>            Subject:     FOP and IIS4/5

                    02/10/2003
                    10:30 AM
                    Please respond
                    to fop-user

Can Fop be used in Server Side Java on an IIS4/IIS5 server

Matthew Lancashire
IT Project Manager
Intitial Electronic Security Ltd

Tel: +44 1282 473554